Cut onions may also be used to avoid mold odors in a cabinet, drawer or room.
Cough is a painful and unpleasant health condition caused by viral or bacterial infections, colds, asthma, dust or environmental issues, smoking, respiratory disease, tuberculosis, etc. Cough is a means of showing irritants in upper respiratory airway and throat and it can affect individuals in two ways-dry cough and wet cough. Cough, which can be a source of discomfort and pain, is a sign of recurrent cough, headaches, and sore throats, coughing, etc. Dry cough can be caused by allergens, bacteria, dust, etc. Cough is caused by mucous membranes or phlegm in the lungs.
Most people, however, start crying when chopping an onion, but you know the heavy gasses released from an onion will help you from coughing. Apply this natural house remedy for your cough instead of running over the toxin syrups. Do you really not believe that? Perhaps you don't believe it? Then take a look at these amazing onion properties to learn how cough is treated.
- It is rich in sulfur compounds that have anti-bacterial properties to cure microbes of cough. The sulfur acts as a powerful detox that helps the body release toxins (especially from the liver).
- It strengthens the immune system by working as natural antibiotics and expectorants to loosen the mucosa that causes cough.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce pain or inflammation caused by a persistent cough.
- It acts as a perfect cough suppressant and relieves you from coughing and its symptoms.
HOW TO USE ONIONS FOR COUGH:
Here we listed 3 best and most successful methods for treating your cough using onions. What you need is to constantly observe them, without interruption.
METHOD – 1: (ONION WITH HONEY)
Both onion and honey have antibacterial and antiviral properties that combat the microbes that cause cough. Honey has a fantastic moisturizing and calming ability that will relieve you from both dry and wet cough.
Steps to be followed…
- Peel an onion, cut into small pieces and put in a bowl, container or cup.
- Then pour 1 cup of raw honey over the slices of the onion.
- Cover the tight lid of the jar and keep it aside for 9 hours or overnight.
- Now open the container and drink 1 teaspoon of this syrup to get a cough relief.
- Repeat daily for 3-4 times a day before coughing and its effects relieve you.
Note: · Or cut the large onion into small pieces and extract the juice using a food or metal sieve with a spoon over a large bowl and mix the same portion of the honey with the onion juice. Place it in a jar with a tight lid for a few hours, then drink 1 tablespoon of this cough syrup to relieve coughing. · Or slice 1 medium onion into 1/4-inch pieces and remove the bits. Arrange these bits at the bottom of a glass jar and cover with a sugar coating of similar thickness. Cut kindly, leaving for overnight. Give your child 1 teaspoon of this cough syrup before they get relief from coughing. · Or else layer the pieces of onion and sugar (or honey) up to 3 layers for more concentrated syrup.
METHOD – 2: (ONION BROTH)
Onion detoxifies the body and eliminates all the things in the body which cause cough. This broth works very well in reducing cough and its symptoms.
Steps to be followed…
- Cut 1 big onion into pieces quarter size.
- Place the pieces in a saucepan and add 2 cups of water.
- Place on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce or lower the heat to medium- for around 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat now and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Strain the broth, then remove the bits of the onion.
- To get relief from the coughing and mucous causing cough, drink this onion broth all day.
- Daily intake is likely to help you get rid of a cough and its symptoms.
METHOD – 3: (ONION COUGH SYRUP WITH HONEY AND GARLIC)
Both these ingredients have a natural antimicrobial property that clears the cough- microbes. Honey serves as a demulcent, calming the habit of coughing and soothing your throat.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 cup each of honey and water in a bowl.
- Stir well and add 1 whole chopped onion, 1 chopped clove of garlic and a sprinkle of sage, oregano or thyme.
- Mix it up and let it last for overnight and strain it in the morning.
- Using this liquid now as your cough syrup and store the remainder for future use in a refrigerator.
- Continue this cough syrup intake regularly before you get full coughing relief.
Tips and Precautions:
1If you did not get any relief from coughing within 2-3 weeks and also suffering from fever, chills, fatigue then it is time to visit your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment as per your health issue.
- Slice an onion and put it on each foot's edge, and cover it with a sock. To get rid of a cough with its sulfur and vitamin c content, leave it on for overnight.
- Another folk remedy is to cut quarters of an onion and put it on a plate. Keep it at your bedside, so the heavy vapor can kill the illness and stop coughing. This helps all people of all age groups clear a cough.
- You may also pour the sliced onions into a muslin bag or tea towel, and tie them off. Hang it up as you sleep on your headboard. Use the same for three-four days to get rid of a cough.
- Coughing dries the throat out and induces discomfort. You need plenty of water and other fluids like juices, herbal teas, etc. to relieve your cough.
To get relief from a cough, try these onion remedies. Do you hear about any other safe strategies for coughing onions? Then let us share it.